Monday, July 4, 2016

Trigger happy: or why Sandy Cheeks caused my blushing cheeks

Sometimes I have problems remembering names. Probably because I don't pay attention. So when it's important, I try to pair the name with something else. As a way to jog my memory. When I had to take my 95 year old, cousin Betty to the Masonic Home to live, I met at least 6 different people who were going to be her caregivers for the rest of her life. I had to pair the names. Some were easy. Carol sitting next to the wreath was obviously "Christmas Carol". When I was having a hard time leaving, Between guilt and my tears, Joan told me to be strong. I thought of her as "Joan of Arc" Betty lived on Nantucket West, so Sandy was "Sandy beach". And so on... The only flaw in my plan was the receptionist. whose name was also Sandy. I couldn't come up with a trigger to jog my memory. Finally, I thought of Sandy Cheewhat. Sponge Bob's best friend. A squirrel. Nickelodeon is on when I leave the house, and 9 times out of 10, Sponge Bob is on. I figured perfect. Sandy Cheeks was the last thing I saw when I left the house, And the first thing I saw when I got to the Masonic Home. I just had to remember Sandy Cheeks. Sandy Cheeks. Sandy Cheeks. 3 days later, I was proud of myself for remembering Who she was. As I repeated it to myself, to guarantee no slip ups, Sandy Cheeks, Sandy Cheeks, Sandy Cheeks. I walked in the front door, got to the receptionist, And said "Hey, Squirrel!"

No comments:

Post a Comment