Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Você gostaria de comer Tea and Krumpets?







I always knew
my geography was hideous;
we weren't taught that in school.
We only had map skills.

I took geography in college,
which consisted
of knowing the capitals
of every country in the world,

which I memorized,
and promptly forgot
after every test.

I remember
going over the terrain,
because the teacher
spent a lot of time

talking about the devastation
that could occur
if a tsunami ever hit the
Bangladesh area.

Foreshadowing.
This was 1992.

And I only remember that
because she pronounced it "Bongladesh"
which sent me
into fits of hysterical laughter
every time she said it.

27 year old mature me.

Other than that
I know nothing.

My whole life
whenever I sit on the beach
and stare out at the ocean
toward England,
I've wondered
if someone in England
was sitting on their beach
staring out and looking at us.

And I thought that if I swam
straight across the ocean,
I'd meet that person
And we'd have
tea and crumpets.

Today I found out
that we're directly
across from Portugal!
I've been staring
at Portuguese people
and didn't even know it.

So, I've been staring
at someone
who doesnt speak
my language.
and would probably
serve me some Portuguese  
fish dinner

that I don't even like.

No comments:

Post a Comment