Monday, February 2, 2015

Who really sang the National Anthem at the Super Bowl?

I was at a birthday party for my 14 year old niece, when the Super Bowl started. John Legend came on and sang the National Anthem. There was a table full of pre-teens eating cake so I turned to them and said "Come on guys, get up and put your hand on your heart, you need to honor your country". 

I pulled my hoodie down and put my hand on my heart, but, thinking I was kidding, they all laughed and stayed seated. 

So I gently bellowed "GET UP and put your hand on your heart. There are not many things that I am emphatic about, but our National Anthem is one of them!!"

They got up. 

I turned and asked the adults in the living room to follow suit, so they all stood up too. 

So, as I sang about purple mountain majesties and fruited plains, I told the kids how the song gives me chills every time I hear it, and that it's my my favorite song because it's about my country and ends with "sea to shining sea".

The song ended we sat down and Idina Menzel came on. The first two words out of her mouth "Oh say" and I froze. I realized what I had done. 

Denise turned to me and said "Julie, THAT'S the National Anthem"!

I turned to the kids and said, "Ok guys get up. Now that we've practiced..." 

#johnlegend. #idinamenzel  #nationalanthem  #getyoursongsstraight





No comments:

Post a Comment